Research Project - Healthy Habits for Healthy Minds
Encouraging habit formation: An investigation of how to encourage initiation and maintenance of mindfulness meditation practices through the Smiling Mind app using the Theory of Planned Behaviour
Thank you for your interest in this research project. This statement provides further information about the project and is designed to inform your decision regarding participation. Please read the following information carefully.
What is this research project about?
People habitually engage in a range of simple and complex behaviours to protect their health on a regular basis; everyday examples include flossing, seatbelt use, hand washing, breakfast consumption, exercise and much more. In a similar way, Smiling Mind encourages regular mindfulness meditation to promote mental health and wellbeing, however there is limited research that investigates mindfulness meditation in relation to habit formation. Therefore, this research project will investigate factors that influence mindfulness meditation initiation and behaviour maintenance. Specifically, participants will be asked about:
- attitudes towards mindfulness meditation
- beliefs about how others perceive mindfulness meditation
- perceived barriers and/or facilitators of regular mindfulness meditation practices
- mindfulness meditation practice intentions
- mindfulness meditation behaviour frequency
- mindfulness meditation habit strength
- satisfaction of initial user expectations
- demographic characteristics
What are participants expected to do?
If you choose to participate, you will be asked to complete a survey that focuses on the themes outlined above. The survey will be available online through Survey Monkey. This survey will take roughly 10 to 15 minutes to complete. There are no right or wrong answers; if you choose to participate, we are interested in your honest response.
What are the possible benefits?
Smiling Mind values the time that participants dedicate to completing this survey. Therefore, on completion on the survey participants will be invited to enter the draw to win a pair of Sony wireless bluetooth headphones valued at $129.95. See the draw terms and conditions for more information.
More broadly, regular mindfulness meditation activities over time have been associated with a range of positive mental health outcomes. By researching how mindfulness meditation can be promoted as a habit, Smiling Mind will be able to tailor its free service to encourage routine use of the app so that society benefits from a uniquely preventative, proactive approach to mental healthcare. Therefore, participation (although voluntary) is highly valued and much appreciated.
What are the possible risks?
Participation in this study poses minimal, if any, risks. There will be questions related to mental health, but you will not be asked to provide information about your mental health status. If you have further queries regarding potential risks, please do not hesitate to contact Smiling Mind using the contact details listed above.
Do I have to take part?
No. Participation is completely voluntary, you are free to withdraw at any time and further responses will not be recorded. Your choice will not result in disadvantageous or detrimental outcomes.
What will happen to information about me?
All responses provided will remain confidential and individual survey results will be anonymised. Data will be collected via Survey Monkey, a secure online survey platform.
Only group results will be reported and your anonymity is assured. Because of this online data collection method, we will not be obtaining written consent from you. Instead, commencement of the online survey will be taken as your consent to participate in the study.
Where can I get further information?
If you would like more information about the project, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and address any queries to Melissa Cupples.
Prize Draw Terms and Conditions
1. To enter the prize draw, entrants must have completed the survey, and completed the entry form. The Promoter reserves the right to verify the validity of entries.
2. This is a game of skill. Chance plays no part in determining the winner. Each entry will be individually judged, based upon individual creative merit. All entries must be an independent creation by the entrant and free of any claims that they infringe any third party rights.
3. Employees of the promoter and agencies associated with this promotion (Smiling Mind) are ineligible to enter the competition, as are their immediate families.
4. The judges reserve the right to disqualify any entrant submitting an entry which, in the opinion of the judges, includes objectionable content, including but not limited to profanity, nudity, potentially insulting, scandalous, inflammatory or defamatory images or language. The judges' decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
5. All entries become and remain the property of the promoter and agencies associated with this promotion (Smiling Mind).
6. Winners of the competition must be 18 years old and over and residents of Australia.
7. The promoter reserves the right to withdraw or amend the competition as necessary due to circumstances outside its control.
8. The prize is non-transferable and non-redeemable for cash. Any attempt to resell or auction all or any part of this prize will result in an immediate cancellation of the prize. Prize cannot be exchanged. In the event that, for any reason whatsoever, a winner does not take an element of the prize at the time stipulated by the promoter then that element of the prize will be forfeited by the winner and cash will not be awarded in lieu of that element of the prize.
9. The promoter reserves the right to substitute any component of the prize for an prize of equal value at their discretion.
10. Prize includes a pair of Sony wireless bluetooth headphones valued at $129.95.
11. Promotion commences 21 June 2018. Entries close 5pm 1 July 2018.
12. By entering the competition, all entrants will be deemed to have accepted and agreed to be bound by these rules.
13. The Promoter is Smiling Mind, ABN 26 161 428 459.
14. The information you are asked to provide to the Smiling Mind is personal information and is protected by the Privacy Act 1988. Smiling Mind will not disclose this information to other parties other than in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988.
15. All entries become the property of the promoter. The promoter and may use the entrant's names and literary pieces for any commercial purpose, including future promotional marketing and publicity purposes. Literary pieces will be published in an anonymised format
16. Independent financial advice should be sought as tax implications may arise as a result of accepting the prize.
17. In the event that for any reason whatsoever a winner does not accept the prize at the time stipulated by Smiling Mind then the prize will be forfeited by the winner and cash will not be awarded in lieu of the prize.
18. Entries will be judged at Smiling Mind on July 20 2018.
19. The winner will be notified in writing by email within thirty (30) working days of the conclusion of the competition.
20. If Smiling Mind is unable to contact the winner within 30 days of the draw and Smiling Mind has made every effort to contact them with the information provided by the entrant then Smiling Mind will award the prize to another valid entrant.