We're looking for a Visual Designer at Smiling Mind!
24 October 2017 Smiling Mind
We are currently looking for an experienced and talented Visual Designer to join our team at Smiling Mind’s Melbourne headquarters.
This is a newly created role, offering a part-time position of three days per week (days of week are flexible). As our Visual Designer you will be responsible for assisting the Marketing & Product Teams to bring the brand to life, and will play a key role in defining what goes into the brand’s unique style across all forms of visual design and communications. In addition to creating beautiful designs that make the Smiling Mind brand “sing”, you will know how to explain design concepts and the decisions behind your work.
You will work closely with other team members to create visual artefacts and design assets across various digital formats; as well as print materials including brochures, booklets; and branded products and merchandise items. We want you to be active in helping our Marketing team to creatively express our message through beautiful and impactful social content (Facebook & Instagram).
You’ll be reviewing and adhering to Smiling Mind’s brand guidelines, brand tone and look and feel specifications; and you’ll work closely with stakeholders across the business to understand our customer vision and business requirements to translate into digital experiences and physical products that meet brand and marketing objectives.
The successful candidate will also have an interest or experience in UI design across digital platforms and products.
- In collaboration with our external design agencies you will:
- Design and develop detailed UI designs for software products.
- Develop product designs and wireframes for user interface for upcoming Roadmap products.
- Create documentation (including design rules, pixel perfect mocks, animations) to assist developers in building software that fosters a delightful user experience.
- Work closely with developers/business stakeholders to ensure the successful execution and consistency of user interface designs.
- Expert understanding of design, layout, and typography in general.
- A pro with Adobe Creative Suite and experience with related tools like Sketch, InVision, Axure will be highly regarded.
- Previous experience with Adobe Premiere and After Effects as well as a keen interest in moving image will be well recognised.
- Knowledge of UI/UX design best practices across different device types (desktop, tablet, mobile), and experience in responsive design will be highly regarded.
- Finished art abilities across press & print. We would like to see a successful portfolio that demonstrates your ability in creating first class products.
- A “can do” personality: you’re biased toward action, a great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier. You never stop pushing towards clarity and delivery.
- Grittiness: You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away.
- Advocate for customer and experience.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines across multiple projects.
- A warm, friendly and engaging approach.
- Be able to work independently or in teams across multiple concurrent projects.
- A high level of communication, negotiation skills and attention to detail is an absolute must.
- A belief in the benefits of mindfulness and an interest and openness in developing your own mindfulness practise.
- Contribute to overall direction, image and brand of Smiling Mind.
GM, Marketing and Partnerships on a weekly basis.
TRAITS THAT FIT THE SMILING MIND CULTURE:
Creativity, integrity, authenticity, intelligence, sense of humour, passion for problem solving, initiative, persistence (i.e. never gives up), purpose-driven, thrives on change and fast-pace, follows through, competitive, challenges the status quo, positive.
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
Back to blog